Thursday, January 27, 2011

WHITE RUSSIAN CUPCAKES

My alcoholic beverage of choice is the white russian. So much so that I was THE DUDE (or The Dudette, really) for more than one Halloween and even just for fun while drinking them around the apartment. I remember the first time I ever drank one: I was 13 years old (sorry, my loving parents) was at a buddy's house. Her parents had made a HUGE pitcher of white russians for a party they were either going to attend or had just attended. I honestly thought it was a pitcher of chocolate milk and grabbed myself a glass. When I drank it and told my buddy that whatever it was, was not chocolate milk, she looked at the glass and then looked at me with an annoyed look on her face, "that would be a white russian, ya dumbass."

Since we were the devious trouble makers any 13 year old should be, we kept on drinking. Between the two of us, we nearly finished the entire pitcher full. I don't know if my buddy got in trouble or not, but I doubt it. She could get away with murder (hence, me being there all the time. Hell, we could smoke in her house!). And I don't even remember getting stupid drunk, but knowing me now when I'm drunk - I probably fell asleep peacefully before it could knock me on my ass.


So, when I saw a recipe for white russian cupcakes, I definately had to make them. I was pleased to see that I had everything on hand, so I made them immediately. I accidentally skipped a step in the recipe where you soak the baked cakes in Kahlua because I got a bit anxious, but they were still delicious. Even though, I wish I had soaked the cakes because I wanted a little bit more of that white russian flavor because it "tastes gooooood" (Patton Oswald in BALLS OF FURY).

The original recipe called for a whipped cream frosting and since I had a slight issue with the Bailey's whipped cream frosting for mudslide cupcakes because I lack a whisk attachment, I made a cream cheese frosting instead. And I love me some cream cheese frostings. I just used a simple & basic recipe for a cream cheese frosting as a template and replaced the lemon juice with Kahlua. I know it's no big change and a monkey could have figured it out, but I thought of myself as being innovative and gave myself some kudos.

I garnished my cakes with shaved chocolate, again. I actually tried using a vegetable peeler to make chocolate curls, but got shavings instead. Whomp whomp.

R grading (A): He ate two back-to-back immediately and more the next day. Out of the cupcakes I have made so far, these were his favorite.

B grading (A): All she really said about these were "tasty!". I love her to death, she's like a sister to me, but damn girl! You gonna have to give me a little bit more to work with. I have faith though. I'm gonna have you testing so many cupcakes, you're going to be a cupcake connoisseur and one day I'm gonna eat those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment