Wednesday, May 4, 2011

RED VELVET CUPCAKES WITH RASPEBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

It's very awkward for me to say "strongly dislike" about anything with sugar in it. It goes against my nature or some kind of major fuck up in my verbal skills, but it's also very true. And the reason is because every time I've ever had red velvet, all I can taste is the food coloring. There was always some strange artificial flavor that left a thin waxy film in my mouth. So naturally, I avoid red velvet.

That is, a co-worker of Ryan's requested red velvets. And since I'm not one to never say never, especially to a friend (who asks politely), red velvets were the goal of this week.

I found a recipe on MarthaStewart.com that I was going to try because you really can't go wrong with Martha Stewart, but I was thumbing through a magazine the day before baking and decided to switch at the last minute. What could have me stray from Stewart?.. liqueur. The recipe I found in the magazine had raspberry liqueur in the cake and frosting with raspberries for garnish. I just naturally gravitated toward the raspberries (even though I garnished with a SnoCap).


The frosting recipe called for eight flippin' cups of confectioner's sugar. EIGHT! I thought that was a bit ridiculous and intimidating so I actually halved the confectioner's sugar. The frosting came out quite soft, but still pipe-able. It looked like soft-serve ice cream, really. I wanted to avoid the sugar shock of the frosting and even with just four cups of sugar, the frosting was still a bit on the super sweet side. I'm slowly coming to the realization that even though I have the worst sweet tooth among everyone I know, too much really can be too much.

All in all, Ryan's place of employment enjoyed the cupcakes. And I'll even admit that I enjoyed them as well and this is coming from someone who "strongly dislikes" red velvet. The cake was super moist, the raspberry liqueur added a new flavor to the cake and I couldn't taste a single drop of food coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment