Thursday, March 10, 2011

SPICED CHAI LATTE CUPCAKES WITH CINNAMON SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM

I had a buddy, Erin, back when I lived in TX. Under grave circumstances, she had to move away to WA where she wasn't able to communicate with anyone (rehab). While she gone, I moved away to AL and I was afraid that we'd never hear or see each other again. One day, many years later, I get a phone call. I picked up the phone and heard, "Hey woman!!". I immediately jumped up and down because I recognized her voice easily. I couldn't believe she found me because our mutual friends had also moved away since she left. 

We planned a trip for her and our best mutual buddy, Trista, to fly to AL and visit me immediately. The three muskateers were soon to be reunited. The day they were going to drive from TX to my house, I received an early phone call from them, letting me know that they were on their way and should be arriving in twelve long hours. When I hung up the phone, I sat up on my bed, in pajamas and thought to myself, "Well, I'm too excited to fall back asleep now.."

The next thing I know, I heard a knock on my door. When I opened it, I had arms around my neck instantaneously and laughter surrounded my ears. It was like we were 13 again, jumping up & down, hootin' & hollerin' and giggling uncontrollably. They explained that they couldn't wait until the morning and decided to drive all night instead. Being reunited with my two best friends that I haven't seen in five years in that particular way, is one of my most fondest memories. Definitely. Hands down.

When I invited them in, Erin made me some chai tea that she brought from WA with her. It was the first time I've ever tried the stuff and now, I associate that flavor with that memory of us three in my kitchen - in each other's presence for the first time in too long and picking things up like we've never left each other's side. Thank the gods for best girlfriends, you know? I've never been a girl's girl, but those two are my sisters. No matter how many years go by and how differently we mold ourselves - I can always depend on us picking things up like yesterday was just middle school. (Of course, now, they have husbands & children and I'm the weird one who doesn't believe in marriage and hates children BUT whatever.)

Okay. Enough with the nostalgia. These cupcakes were simply delicious. It brought up the memory I just mentioned, but maybe that's why I was quick to make them(?). The only thing is that these cupcakes turned out to be more on the chewy side than the fluffy side. They seemed more like muffins with frosting on them. Regardless, everyone loved them and loved the frosting even more, but when I sat down to myself to think of why they turned out chewy.. I thought that it may be because I used 1% milk instead of whole milk. I'm thinking there's just not enough fat to keep them moist. And if that's true, I fancy myself to be more culinary-chemistry literate than I give myself credit for (which is absolute zero). 

No comments:

Post a Comment