Thursday, March 3, 2011

BLACK PEARL CUPCAKES WITH GINGER BUTTERCREAM


When I told R that I found a recipe that called for wasabi, he shuttered in fear. His face puckered and he shook his head in disbelief. I thought to myself, "challenge accepted". 

He was pleasantly surprised at the taste of these. I watched his face as he chewed on one. He began to smack his mouth, tasting the wasabi, and his eyebrows started to rise and then he nodded his head with a slight approval. It was a little funny to watch the transgression from dread to confusion to discovery and then acceptance all within the few seconds of one bite of a cupcake. I thought they were a bit odd myself, but they were essentially good. What I thought even more odd is that the next day, the wasabi flavor was totally absent. They were just plain ol' chocolate cakes with ginger buttercream. And those were good too. 

When I told my dad what they were he said, "wasabi?.. like horseradish?" He had the same sour face as my boo. I told him to don't knock em until you try em. As he was eating one, I watched the same transgression in his face from confusion to discovery but instead of acceptance, I saw indifference. He wasn't a fan of the wasabi cupcakes. Oh well. Ya can't win them all, huh dad?

Everyone else seemed to like them enough, but everyone else ate them the day after they were baked so the wasabi flavor had already disappeared. What they enjoyed was a simple (and lovely) chocolate cake with delicious ginger buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment