Monday, February 14, 2011

GREEN FAERIE CUPCAKES

R & I have always wanted to taste absinthe. Apparently, you can't sell absinthe in America, but you can buy absinthe so we ordered a bottle from France. I remember looking up LA FEE and being dumbfounded at all the different types. I thought that there was just the typical green shit, but there's plenty to choose from. We ended up purchasing some kind of "starter kit" and were amazed at how cheap it really was..

Anyway, when we received the imported package, we made a date to get wasted on a night where we didn't have to work the next morning. The kit came with the bottle, two glasses, two spoons & a ton of sugar cubes. I tried to remember how the entire process was done in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, but we actually YouTubed a how-to video (gotta love YouTube).

After it was all said and done, we took a sip of the green faerie and practically spit it out. To me, it tasted like watered down Jager. I'm not a fan of the black licorice flavor & R isn't a fan of Jager, so we kept the bottle in our freezer for probably about five years before I pulled it out again to make these cupcakes. I dunno what made me believe that I'd like the taste of absinthe in cupcake form, but NOOOPE. The recipe ended up making 6 dozen mini cupcakes and the frosting recipe made enough for 2 dozen of the minis, so I threw away the remaining 4 dozen. I just didn't want to keep any of these cupcakes around and I didn't think anyone else would like them.. it turned out that my boss and the security guard loved them. They thought I was crazy for throwing away 4 dozen.


R grading (D): Like I said, he's not a fan of the Jager flavor. I was more surprised that he gave a D because I gave them an F.

I didn't give any to my parents because I just thought they were so gross tasting that I shouldn't share any of them, but my boss at the bar and the security guard were excited to hear about them and wanted me to bring them the next time I came in. After I warned them that they taste like Jager and have that weird licorice-type taste to them, they finished off the batch for me one after the other. They even threw out a pitch to sell them during the next show we were hosting, which was practically a rave. I didn't have the heart to go through with it. 

1 comment:

  1. What was your recipe? It looks amazing (I like herbal tasting treats). Also, not all absinthes taste the same. You might want to try a different brand, such as Nouvelle-Orléans.

    ReplyDelete